Apply Now to Volunteer to Teach English
If you would like to apply to volunteer to teach English or French at Westminster Comprehensive School in Ghana, please use our Application Form.
Give as much information as you can about yourself, indicate your level of proficiency in teaching and the length of time and preferred dates for your volunteer post. Someone from the school in Ghana or George Burr, our volunteer coordinator in UK, will respond to your application as soon as possible.
Important Information for All Volunteers
Volunteers to teach English (or French) are expected to work for a period of not less than one month and must meet the following criteria:
- 18 years or above
- Proficient in English or French
- Has interest in working with young people
- Should be independent
- Strongly motivated to make their stay in Ghana a success
Volunteers do not need to have a teaching background to be part of this project. But they should be patient, committed and have the desire to inspire the students and the ability to communicate ideas.
The educational system in Ghana follows the British academic calendar. Prospective volunteers must therefore take note of these dates.
Please make sure you read through and understand the requirements:
- If you are considering applying to volunteer to teach in Ghana, it is essential you read our FAQ on preparing to stay in Ghana. It answers all your questions on important criteria such as visas, passports, vaccinations, malaria prophylaxis and travel and health insurance.
- You must obtain a Volunteer Visa for travel to Ghana. You must apply for this entry visa before you leave, as no visas are issued in the airport on arrival.
- Please read our Terms and Conditions that apply to all volunteer teachers working at Westminster Comprehensive School.
- You must supply the school with a reference, see Reference Form
Volunteers necessarily have to provide us with a personal or professional reference given by an employer, teacher, lawyer or doctor.
This reference must include detail of the context in which the referee knows you and stating that he or she knows of no reason why you should not volunteer. This reference cannot be from a family member.
The referee should also provide their contact details in order that Westminster Comprehensive School can contact them prior to your departure to confirm the reference given. Please ask your referee to complete this Reference Form.
Volunteers must be willing to show that they have no criminal records and that they are safe to work with children. A CRB (criminal records bureau) check may be made on applicants.
The school year is based on a calendar of 195 days. The educational system in Ghana follows the British academic calendar. Prospective volunteers must therefore take note of these approximate dates.